One of the most important components of the nature reserve is the "Rüsper Forest", a 61.4-hectare pocket of natural forest, with its 100-year-old stands of Downy Birch and Black Alder, as well as more than 200-year-old Beech trees. One of the characteristic species of the nature reserve is the Monkshood, a blue aconite whose blooms are mainly to be seen along the lower reaches of the Schwarzbach stream in July and August. In May the numerous white fruit tufts of Hare's-tail Cottongrass shine in the mosaic of Purple Moorgrass meadows and sedge moors which cover the floor of the valley floodplain. The clear stream waters hold Brown Trout, Brook Lampreys and Bullheads. In the vicinity of the destroyed railway bridge you have a good chance of seeing a Dipper or a Kingfisher.
Tips and hintsThe listed monument tower, the Rhein-Weser-Turm, offers a fantastic view over large parts of the Rothaargebirge mountains.
Getting thereYou reach Heinsberg on the L713 road from Kirchhundem or Hilchenbach. In Heinsberg, turn into the street called "Bergstraße", which leads to the car park.
GPS (UTM): 32 U 442662, 5654304
Google coordinates: 51.037313, 8.182342
ParkingFrom Kirchhundem-Heinsberg a steep side road leads to the car parks at the "Heinsberger Weidekamp" hut and at the "Hochheide" rest area.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.