In the ancient Beech forests, there are many trees with cavities that provide nesting places for the breeding populations of Tengmalm's Owl, Black Woodpecker and Grey-headed Woodpecker. Since 2004, the imposing Black Stork has regularly raised its young here. If you visit the area very early or late on springtime days, you can observe the display flights of the Woodcock. The swamp forest and stream-fringing Alder forests are characterised by the occurrence of Downy Birch, Deer Fern, Marsh Violet and various sphagnum moss species. However, the largest botanical treasure of the area is the Lesser Twayblade, an orchid species that is endangered in the whole of Germany. The Einsiedelei forest is the only location for this orchid in North Rhine-Westphalia. The nearest other sites of this rare plant are in southern Lower Saxony and in Thuringia.
Tips and hintsVia the B55, it is only a few minutes' drive to Lake Bigge and its many recreational facilities.
It is also not far to the local museum Gemeinde-Heimatmuseum in Kirchhundem-Silberg, which is open in the afternoon of every second Sunday of the month.
Getting thereGPS (UTM): 32 U 428788, 5657602
Google coordinates: 51.065514, 7.983699
ParkingThe hiking car park above the foresters’ lodge "Einsiedelei" can be reached from both the B 55 (junction northeast of Oberveischede) and the B 517 (junction northeast of Welschen-Ennest) via a narrow, paved access road.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.